Certificate Course in Maritime Catering is a 6 Months duration training readies student cadets for serving Galley of a ship and assisting crew in their accommodation upkeep while sailing. Roles involve Menu Planning, Cooking, Food Safety, Laundry, Accommodation Operations upkeep et all. Entry level as Assistant Steward in Merchant Navy progresses on to become Chief Cook of a Merchant Ship. Cruise liners hire seasoned/ well trained cadets as Assistant Cooks/ Stewards. Start earning global pay scales after 10th Standard itself.
At SNMA, additional spoken english training provided for one hour every day till completion of course. Test of Spoken English (ToSE) for Merchant Navy Ships and Spoken English Assessment for Cruise Ship Staffs (SPEACS) for Cruise Ships training and exams are facilitated for all CCMC Cadets. These tests prepare them to work comfortably on Ship Board with knowledge on Standard Phrases used in Shipping/ Sailing.
- A Saloon Rating after successful completion of pre-sea course, joins vessel as General Steward or Trainee/2nd Cook and subsequently become Chief Cook/Chief Steward who is the in-charge of Catering Department.
- Chief cook takes care of Ship’s food preparation, provision stores, general hygiene and housekeeping. The Chief Cook is usually one of the most pampered and loved person on board.
- A few years of experience allows them to serve as specialist cook for different cuisines in “Cruise Liners” or join Star Hotels at shore.
COURSE SYLLABUS OVERVIEW:
- Pre-sea Saloon Rating course will cover common syllabi for the Ratings like, English (Nautical Terms), Etiquette, Mathematics, Physics, Health Hazards & Personal safety, Ships & Shipping Industries.
- Use of Life Saving & Fire Fighting Appliances, Safe Working Practices, First Aid, Navigation, Ship’s Maintenance, Signaling & Ship Visit.
- They also undertake exclusive training programme in subjects like Food Production, Housekeeping, Hygiene & Front Desk Service.
- During training for this course, training is provided for a Globally recognised popular Catering Qualification viz., City & Guilds Diploma in Professional Cooking & Culinary Arts with Globally verifiable City & Guilds Batch. (Despite simultaneous training, it will take another one month extra for cadets to complete this course before a UK Examiner).
- We provide training and facilitate Central Government Exams for House Keeping Manager Job Role under Tourism and Hospitality Skill Council. (You will find yourself wanted in Hotel operations on land also while not sailing).
- We facilitate unpaid internship of three months in leading luxury hotels at nearby metropolitan cities to enable willing cadets attain professional seasoning of hospitality and Culinary Arts.
- Additional training modules include focus on food safety, awareness on food borne diseases while sailing, procedures to prevent infection of cooked food, grocery supplies et all, apart from providing student cadets insight into food safety system as mandated by HACCP International Audit. All these aspects together make SNMA CCMC Cadets as competent cum confident personnel on board merchant ship or cruise ship while sailing.
What is galley utility? (Merchant Ship)
Description: The galley utility is primarily responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the dish station in the galley. They will be washing all pots, pans, silverware, service items, and glassware for each meal served onboard (breakfast, lunch, and dinner).
Galley Utility is responsible for the handling, transport, and cleaning of food, food service equipment, utensils and areas in the galley and dish-wash area of the galley under the direction of the Executive Chef while maintaining proper galley sanitation and safety standards.
What is galley on a Cruise Ship?
Galley / Kitchen Department… The kitchen is called the “galley” on a cruise ship, and it is one of the largest unseen areas onboard, with extensive staff and a variegated diversity of tasks to be performed in a non-stop working system forced by the specific needs of food service onboard large cruise ship.
Sri Nandhanam Maritime Academy, Tirupattur – 635601, Tamil Nadu
Admissions Phone: 95 4354 4354 Email: email@example.com