All the machinery onboard ship is a combination of mechanical and electrical systems. The modern day shipping is more reliable on automations and electronics whose knowledge and maintenance can only be handled by an engineer expert in the electrical field. Marine electrical officer engineers are perfect for such jobs and that’s why they hold an important role on ship and in offshore industry.
Electrical engineer is one of the most vital positions in the technical hierarchy of a ship and engineer is responsible for his assigned work under the chief engineer’s instructions.
As the technology is advancing, more and more automations and electronic circuit is replacing conventional and electrical systems. Hence the international Maritime Organisation (IMO) amended STCW 95 on 25th June 2010 known as Manila amendment, to introduce a certified position of Electro-technical officer in place of electrical officer.
Eligibility Details: Click Here
Sailing Career Paths: Click Here
Ship Jobs @ Sea: Click Here
What does an electro technical officer do?
An electro technical officer handles several responsibilities on vessel mainly related to electrical systems. Like most jobs at sea, as a ship officer handling electronics on a vessel, you are most likely to work under a chief engineer who supervises everything on a ship. And while under a chief engineer, your ship jobs would include the following things.
- Maintenance and working of electrical equipments on board
- Working of electrical parts like engine rooms, radio communications, electronic navigation needs like echo sounders, Gyro compass, Weather Fax, auto pilot, RADAR system, Broadcast and internal aerial system, telephone and talk back system and satellite communications
- Look into basic electric needs like refrigeration, bridge systems and control rooms
- Maintenance of emergency systems including emergency switches, fire alarms and detectors
- Vessel’s electrical components like navigational lights, battery backups and electrically operated propelling machinery
- Assist chief officer in handling routine works especially related to electrical handling
- Coordinate work with on shore technicians
- During emergencies, an electrical officer plays important role like every other ship officer. You would be required to handle the emergency situations and ensure all the equipment needed for safety is always ready
- An electro technical officer looks into electrical and technical aspects on a vessel. Hence working of computer controlled machinery would be supervised by an ETO.
- An electrical officer is immensely important on cruise ships and passenger vessels which have huge electrical requirements and unmanned technology handling them. Everything from refrigeration to air conditioning on such vessels would come under your supervision as an electro technical officer.
Sri Nandhanam Maritime Academy, Tirupattur – 635601, Tamil Nadu
Admissions Phone: 95 4354 4354 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org